Monday, November 23, 2015

The cows are coming!

Ten years, seven months and 18 days. That’s how long I’ve been a full-time resident of the Mitten State. And that’s ten years, seven months and 18 days of living in a land without Chick-fil-A. After having immediate access to the golden chicken goodness for the first 35 years of my life, being without has been a shock to my system. The absence of The Original Chicken Sandwich, waffle fries and the best diet lemonade ever (yes, I see the irony) has propelled our little family on many road trips. Need to know how to get to the closest CFA? Just ask. We can tell you where to go in Toledo (the absolute closest – first exit after the Ohio border), Ft. Wayne, Mishawaka, South Bend, and now, Chicago.

When we first arrived in the Land Chick-fil-A Forgot, I wrote letters. I emailed CFA headquarters, asking when they planned to open a store in Michigan. Each response was met with, “Michigan isn’t one of our target areas right now.” But they did send coupons for free chicken sandwiches. Those coupons were spent on our road trips home South. But after a very exciting announcement last week, it looks like they could now be used just twelve miles from where I’m sitting in the great white North: 
Chick-fil-A-Cow-Shoveling-Snow.jpeg

Chick-fil-A moo-ving into Lansing.”

Holy cow.

Y’all, for the decade I’ve lived here, I’ve heard rumors about the impending opening of a CFA in Detroit or Grand Rapids. Each rumor has been built on hope, but in the end, was only wishful thinking. But now. Now. The local paper is quoting a real, live actual CFA employee saying CFA is coming to Lansing. There’s an actual address. I know RIGHT WHERE IT IS! This is more than a rumor – this is REAL!

The news came a day before we were hit with our first snow storm of the season. The thought that chicken nuggets and cole slaw are within reach in the next year made the nine inches of the white stuff almost tolerable.

Almost. 

But today there's no snow in the forecast. And it looks like this week's temperatures will be high enough to melt the snow. And my college kids are coming home for a long holiday weekend. And I remembered to take the turkey out of the freezer. AND Chick-fil-A is really, really coming to Lansing. 

My list of, "Things I'm Thankful For" just keeps growing. 

Chick-fil-A, thanks for finally making your way up here. Your Southern manners and fabulous food will be welcomed by those of us who've been without your goodness for too long. 

And it will be my pleasure to keep your Lansing store in business. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!