Wednesday, July 08, 2015

Weather and Shark Week Random Thoughts

June was not my favorite month this year. And considering there was no snow, that’s saying something.

There wasn’t snow but the temps were and continue to be very low. I am NOT complaining! This Southern girl does not like hot summers and the mild summer temperatures here in the Mitten make up for the lousy winter weather.

Also, just because people are born and raised in the South does not mean the heat doesn’t bother them. It bothers me greatly. Greatly.

I got that disposition from my father, who walks around with a kitchen towel on his shoulder all summer long. To wipe up the sweat. No lie.

We also have this nifty facial feature in the heat – we turn bright red. Picture Rudolph, but instead of just our noses being red our whole face glows crimson. It’s special.

I spoke to a friend from here who’s going to Florida in August. She said the heat doesn’t bother her family. I could not comprehend that statement. I also could not fathom going to Florida in August. I’d be a big pool of sweat.

So to sum up, I don’t like heat and I don’t like snow. I’m more of a 68 – 75 degrees kind of girl. This summer has been perfect for me so far.

I’m sure you’re all glad to know that.

On another summer-related note, it’s Shark Week. Otherwise known as The Week Christy Does Not Turn on the Television.

Seriously, why would people watch those shows? Aside from the frighteningly scary animals, there’s all that creepy music.

If nature people really want folks to like sharks, they should film those shows with kids’ music in the background. It’s pretty hard to be scared while singing, “The wheels on the bus go round and round…”

The music wouldn’t help me, though. It’s too late for me. I am completely paranoid about those swimming man-eaters. I’m honest about this horribly irrational fear, made obvious this week when a friend posted this on my Facebook wall:


I had a strong reaction: "There is no way in a million bazillion years I would ever do that. Ever. Ever. Ever. My skin is crawling just thinking about this!!"

Two other friends commented that there are no sharks in ponds. REALLY?? Are you sure? There are fresh-water sharks you know! I am not taking that chance.

I’ll stick to pools, thank you very much. But just to be safe, I’ll stay away from the drains…













No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!