Thursday, July 10, 2014

The Mac, Karate Kid, Transformers and Sean

At 5:45 this morning, I drove Sean to work so I could borrow his car. Michael’s car is in the shop so he took Amy’s and Amy needs my car today, so I borrowed Sean’s.

Anyway, 5:45 is stinkin’ early. And as we were driving in, it hit me that my husband gets up in the middle of the night (because 4:45 am is the middle of the night) every work day, and has done so for 30 years. That’s right – 30 years. Monday he very unceremoniously told me that June 7, 1984 was his start date for GM. Thirty years of early to bed, early to rise work days and nights. And he has never complained. Never.

I complained this morning and I didn’t even have to shower or prepare to actually do anything except drive a very nice Buick home. One day and I’m a whiner who can’t wait to take a nap.

Thirty years ago this week, 18 year old Sean made his way to Flint, Michigan to study mechanical engineering at General Motors Institute, or what is now known as Kettering University. He went to school for three months, then went home to Atlanta to work at the GM Doraville assembly plant for three months. And he did that until graduation, at which time GM hired him on full-time. And he’s been keeping those crazy hours ever since.

The original Mac brochure
For a little perspective: Sean began his career the same year the Mac was unveiled. It was also the year the Transformers were introduced, The Karate Kid waxed on and waxed off, MTV debuted The Video Music Awards and The Cosby Show began. Also, I was 14. Just an FYI.

I must admit I look forward to the day he doesn’t go to bed before 9 and I especially look forward to the day he doesn’t get up at 4 in the morning. And while I can’t believe I’m old enough to be married to someone thinking about retirement, I am pumped about the idea of actually going to bed at the same time as my husband! I just wonder how long it will take him to adjust to not getting up before the sun…

As I drove home this morning, I was overwhelmed with thankfulness for a husband who takes such great care of his family and who has been an amazing example of diligence and hard work to the kids and to me despite his less than ideal hours.

So happy anniversary to Sean and GM! Here's to only a few years left together!


Something else celebrating its 30 year anniversary: Ghostbusters. When this song comes on XM, Sean always wants to listen. Here you go, babe. (I forgot about all the cameos at the end of the video - I know you'll like the Chevy Chase one.)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!