Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Yeah, that's probably not going to change

Pet peeves are funny things. Grinding teeth, fingernails on a chalkboard, smacking lips can all drive people up a wall. (And by, "people," I mean members of my immediate family.) Of course, during the dating process, we all do our darndest to hide the things that could make our sweetheart cringe, and usually, during that time, you’re so in love you’re oblivious to them anyway. But then you get married and all of a sudden it’s pet peeve central.

Not staged, much to
Sean's chagrin
For instance, I had no idea what a big deal it was going to be to leave a kitchen cabinet door open. I mean, I’m working in the kitchen and sometimes I leave a door (or two) open. No big deal, right? Oh, so wrong. Makes Sean nuts. But he should have known this was going to happen because my mom does the same thing. When we were dating and he’d visit our house, he’d close her pantry door multiple times only to have Mom open it up again. She was working, for crying out loud! Why bother shutting it until you’re done? 

So I’ve known about the cabinet door thing since we got married (and I really do try to close them - really!), but in the last few years a new pet peeve of his has surfaced: leaving a coat on the back of a chair. This was not an issue when we lived in Atlanta.  But since moving to the great white north, this has become a major point of contention. I figure if I’m going in and out, I should just leave my coat on my kitchen chair: easy access for when I need to leave again. Why bother hanging it up in the coat closet each time? I’ll do it at the end of the day when I’m done with the coat (most nights I remember…). You can imagine how this thrills Sean, Mr. Engineer, Mr. “A place for everything and everything in its place.” Thrills him to his core.

My coat on my chair. The shirt that's hanging up needs to go upstairs - of course, it's still there, 12 hours after being ironed, but that's another story...

But this weekend, my Dad visited and he left his coat in a very familiar spot:

My dad's coat on Sean's chair.

Didn’t faze me a bit. Sean, of course, took the opportunity to say, “I see it runs in the family.”

At least he knows I come by it honestly.




5 comments:

  1. Two phrases my dad always said: "If you see something out of place put it in its place" and "if it's open, close it." Our habits are always our parents fault, huh? Now please go close your cabinet doors, they are bothering me, too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Ann12:35 PM

    No comment, Christy! (I may be responible for Sean's fastidiousness...If genetics has anything to do with it! :-)) Is that really Judge Judy who responded, or an imposter? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, JudgeJudy, you would fit in just fine around here. And for the record, all the cabinet doors are currently closed. Coat's still on the chair, however.

    Mary Ann - Yes, dear mother-in-law, you are definitely to blame! But knowing you has helped me be a better housekeeper (believe it or not). JudgeJudy is a freind of mine here in Michigan, not the judge from TV.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could it be an engineer thing? Jay does the same to me. For full disclosure, however, he's more apt to get beaned in the head by an open cupboard door than I am (plus, I know it's open, so I duck). Sometimes he follows me around the kitchen, shutting as we go. Drives me batty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christy...this post made me smile! :-) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!