Monday, June 11, 2012

What (Not) to Wear

It’s time for another installment of BlogHer’s Life Well Lived question of the day! Today’s question: What are your favorite fashion, style and beauty resources?  Super-easy answer: Stacy and Clinton.


Stacy and Clinton, stars of TLC's What Not to Wear, take a fashion-challenged woman, critique her entire wardrobe, throw it out, then take her shopping in NYC. They teach her how to shop for her particular shape, and by the end of the week, have completely transformed the person – wardrobe, hair and makeup. They are a mix of fashion gurus and psychologists.

My favorite piece of advice from S/C is to ignore the size of a garment.  Of course, you have to start somewhere; get close to your size, but try on lots of other sizes until you find the one that actually fits you. Don’t be obsessed with the number. And a good tailor is your friend.

(The try things on idea also reminds me of Tim Gunn, who is forever telling people to try on lots of clothes.)

TLC has started putting condensed versions of WNTW on their website; watch this short clip to see the masters at work:



Click on over to take a peek at the other suggestions. And, as always, there's a pretty fab giveaway - an iPod touch!



2 comments:

  1. I used to love that show too! It always cracked me up that whatever the person was told NOT to get, that's always what they picked out in the beginning of their shopping spree. I think it's kinda like a security blanket that we're just not ready to let go of easily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have/love that show...I could totally be on it!!! I could never throw away my whole wardrobe though and they spend WAY too much on just a few outfits.

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!